Home of the Lake Smith Terrace, Haygood Point, and Governor Square Civic League.
April is named for the Greek goddess of love, Aphrodite. The name for the month of April originally came for Aprilis which means to open. The name Aprilis is very appropriate because in so many places the trees and flowers begin to bloom and go on to flower during the month of April.
Here are a few interesting things and the month of April along with some events that fall this month:
- Zodiac signs for April are Aries, March 21 to April 19
and Taurus, April 20 to May 20
- The daisy, which symbolizes innocence and the sweet pea are the flowers for the month
- The diamond is the birthstone for the month of April
- NASA announced the selection of America's first seven astronauts on April 9, 1959
- William Wadsworth, English poet was born April 7, 1770
- Noah Webster copyrighted the first edition of his dictionary April 14, 1828
- Leonarado da Vinci, Italian painter, sculptor and scientist was born April 15, 1452
- Adolf Hitler, dictator of Germany was born April 20, 1889
- William Shakespeare, the playright, was born on April 23, 1564. He also died in England in 1616
- The United States LIbrary of Congress was established April 24, 1800
- George Washington was inaugurated as the first president of the United States of America on April 30, 1789
- The Vietnam War ended on April 30, 1975, when South Vietnam surrendered
- April is one of only four months that has exactly 30 days, the others are June, September and November.
- April begins on the same day of the week as July every single year.
- The Titanic sank on April 15, 1912
| Flower: Sweet Pea|| Gemstone: Diamond|
Let the rain kiss you
Let the rain beat upon your head with silver liquid drops
Let the rain sing you a lullaby
The rain makes still pools on the sidewalk
The rain makes running pools in the gutter
The rain plays a little sleep song on our roof at night
And I love the rain.